The Calcutta School of Music is one of the premier institutions in India. It was established in the year 1915 A.D. by Dr. Phillip Sandre, a musician of considerable calibre and a contemporary and friend of the famous composer Saint Saens. It is probably the only school in the country which has a wide ranging canvas of musical discipline covering music, dance, speech training elocuiton & drama. The school is an important element in the city of Kolkata, providing liberal instruction in musical subjects on one hand and aso arranging orchestral, chamber & solo music training & concerts, as well as music appreciation sessions throughout the year.
The School was originally located in Wellesly Street in Central Calcutta. In the year 1972, the school moved into its own premises at Sunny Park. Its 90th anniversary is being celebrated in 2005-06. The school functions as a registered society under the Societies Registration Act, 1860 as a non-profit organisation and is managed by the Principal under the guidance of the Governing Committee.
His excellency, the Governor of West Bengal is a patron of the school.